We have had several people ask whether dslrBooth works on Windows 8 or not and we actually weren’t sure of the answer. We’ve been doing some testing and have made a few tweaks and the latest version is now fully compatible with Windows 8 with one minor caveat.
Windows 8 has a new feature called SmartScreen which is meant to help in preventing installation of malware. Microsoft was quite zealous though and decided to categorize all new windows 8 software as risky software and shows users an information message that it prevented an unrecognized app from starting. We have done everything we can to avoid this warning but until Microsoft has some mercy on us independent software developers, users will have to go through this warning. To bypass the warning, all you have to do is click on More info and click Run anyway. You’ll see the publisher as Hope Pictures which is our parent company which is perfectly fine. Our software is digitally signed to prevent against being altered by anyone so rest assured the software you download from us is 100% safe. It’s a bit annoying that users have to go through this but pretty easy to get around.
We’ve improved setting printer settings by adding a new menu item for Print Settings. You can now easily and quickly pick printer, paper size, orientation instead of having to go to the control panel to do this. Also, dslrBooth no longer overwrites your chosen paper size. This is useful for those that are using commercial photo booth printers that would like to use the 2×6 cutting feature by changing the paper size. Printer settings are stored across restarts so set them up once and forget about them if you’re not changing your layout. We’re all about streamlining things in case you haven’t noticed
- Major improvements to image processing engine. You get even higher quality prints and much faster processing of images. Great for those running dslrBooth on a Netbook or very low end hardware.
To update, simply restart dslrBooth.
- Hide camera dropdown on full screen to clean up full screen display.
- Show warning when shooting in RAW as only JPG shooting is supported.
- Add sharing to facebook, twitter, flickr, email and others for those running on OS X 10.8.
To update, go to dslrBooth > Check for Updates.
Based on popular feedback, we’ve added a much requested feature of allowing dslrBooth to trigger the camera so you don’t have to click the shutter to take every picture. This should help folks who want to run a truly unattended photo booth. All you have to do is click the space bar once or click the camera icon and the software will take a picture, wait several seconds, take the next one and so on. To enable this feature, simply go to Preferences and set Trigger Camera Shutter Automatically to True.
You also now have the option of triggering the camera manually from the PC. Simply click the camera icon or press the Space Bar. This opens the door to using our software with USB remote controls, clickers, bluetooth controllers, and so on.
We hope you enjoy these new feature and are eager to hear your feedback.
- Fix print orientation on several DNP printers
Minor update to address the following issues:
- Full support for capturing images from Nikon and Canon cameras on Windows XP without the need for any 3rd party software. Yes, Windows XP, many people have old laptops running XP, if you’re one of them, you’re in luck. Put that pc to good use in your booth.
- Defaulting to 4×6 paper size if your printer supports it. One less thing for you to do when printing on printers that don’t have that setup as the default.