Overhauled our layout engine, we’ll now be able to add new layouts much faster and are contemplating allowing our users to make up their own. As part of this work, we’re releasing a minor update to add two new layouts for Windows users. And yes, we’ll be adding these to our Mac version very soon.
Have another layout in mind? Contact us and send us a link or e-mail us what it looks like and we’ll do our best to add it.
We’ve had several people ask about how to setup their photo booths so guests can start the sequence of taking pictures with a button. The best option we’ve found is to use the Griffin Powermate. It’s a usb button that works with PCs and Macs. In our testing, it looks great, is easy to setup and works great with dslrBooth. Once you get your powermate, download the drivers from griffin’s website. Then setup the button push action to send the SPACE keyboard key.
Interested in a foot switch instead, we recommend the StealthSwitch USB Foot Switch. Again, just configure the switch’s software to send the SPACE keyboard key.
Make sure you have setup dslrBooth to trigger camera automatically or else pressing the button will only start the countdown and nothing else.
We have had several people ask whether dslrBooth works on Windows 8 or not and we actually weren’t sure of the answer. We’ve been doing some testing and have made a few tweaks and the latest version is now fully compatible with Windows 8 with one minor caveat.
Windows 8 has a new feature called SmartScreen which is meant to help in preventing installation of malware. Microsoft was quite zealous though and decided to categorize all new windows 8 software as risky software and shows users an information message that it prevented an unrecognized app from starting. We have done everything we can to avoid this warning but until Microsoft has some mercy on us independent software developers, users will have to go through this warning. To bypass the warning, all you have to do is click on More info and click Run anyway. You’ll see the publisher as Hope Pictures which is our parent company which is perfectly fine. Our software is digitally signed to prevent against being altered by anyone so rest assured the software you download from us is 100% safe. It’s a bit annoying that users have to go through this but pretty easy to get around.
We’ve improved setting printer settings by adding a new menu item for Print Settings. You can now easily and quickly pick printer, paper size, orientation instead of having to go to the control panel to do this. Also, dslrBooth no longer overwrites your chosen paper size. This is useful for those that are using commercial photo booth printers that would like to use the 2×6 cutting feature by changing the paper size. Printer settings are stored across restarts so set them up once and forget about them if you’re not changing your layout. We’re all about streamlining things in case you haven’t noticed
- Add large start button for automatic shutter (timer) setups.
- Add large countdown before taking pictures so your guests can easily know when picture will be taken.
- Rename “archive” directory to “originals” so it’s more obvious where original pictures go.
- Fix memory leak issue when shooting JPG images of larger sizes.
- Add Big button to start session
- Large countdown before each image is taken
- Don’t auto-select a paper size if printer is already set to print on a 4×6 paper size. Useful for those selecting custom print sizes to get 4×6 prints cut in half on printers such as: mistubishi, dnp, and hiti.
- Yes/No for preferences instead of True/False
- Better handling of auto focus failing/camera not triggering
- Change folder names to: Processing, Originals, Prints
- Fix camera button losing focus
- Fix issues w/ some Canon cameras overwriting existing files when reusing same file numbers.
- Remove “Exit Full Screen” link, to exit full screen, hit ESC, F11 or F button to exit full screen.